The Emery Dress

I was quite late on the Emery dress bandwagon but once I caught up, I wanted to make infinite Emerys a la A Million Dresses. You can see how versatile this pattern is from that one Instagram feed!

The pattern can be made with a Peter Pan collar, with or without sleeves – long or short, and with or without pockets. I made a few different versions with some alterations and adaptations and here they are:

photo-3

My first attempt was a polka dot medium weight cotton with short sleeves, hemmed just above the knee as I thought this could be worn throughout the year.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_2920.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3145.jpg

Unfortunately my huge cat hides most of the dress here!

My second attempt was a bit of a rush – I sewed it up in one evening after work – so the finish left a lot to be desired but it was only for Halloween! I used a fleece cotton which was quite difficult to work with as it had quite a bit of stretch. I didn’t line the bodice because the fabric is quite thick without lining so I just covered the raw edges of the neckline with the big collar that I drafted myself.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3119.jpg
My costume was my ‘former self’, just to explain the hearts and name badge!

My third attempt was using a similar fleecy cotton which again I didn’t line. This one is really warm so ideal for winter, and I added pockets which is not only handy, it also adds a bit more volume to the skirt too.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3625.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3624.jpg

My final and favourite attempt was in fairly thick cotton in William Morris Strawberry Thief print. I didn’t line this one either but used Christine Hayne’s bias binding tutorial to finish the edges with Liberty Print. I am pleased with how this one turned out as I spent longer on the pattern matching and fit; I ended up taking the darts up by a couple of centimetres and taking the sides in for a snugger fit.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3415-2.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3436-0.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3438-1.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3435-1.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/d8b/39038379/files/2015/01/img_3468.jpg

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “The Emery Dress

  1. springystitches says:

    I too have been eyeing up the Emery Dress and you have certainly inspired me to try it! I really love the William Morris print and the Liberty finish adds a touch of quirkiness – beautiful!! 🙂

  2. Aneira says:

    I love what you’ve done with the contrast bias binding for the Strawberry Thief Emery here! I’m tempted to rip my Emery’s facing out and do the same! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s